Comprehensive Mustang Gold slot review. Experience this Pragmatic Play game and collect big wins from the on-screen money symbols and large bonus game jackpots.
- Developed by Pragmatic Play
- Win up to 12,000x your bet
- Major jackpot pays €/£125,000
- Retrigger free spins feature
Saddle up for a Western-themed adventure with Pragmatic Play's 5-reel, 25 fixed payline slot.
Released in January 2019, Mustang Gold can be played for as little as £/€0.25 a spin up to £/€125 and offers a top payout of 12,000 times your stake.
You can fill your money bags with some large wins on any spin by hitting the horseshoe cash symbols plus there are four jackpots waiting to be won in the bonus game and a free spins round that can be retriggered infinitely.
Game's scores summary
|Visual & Sound Effects||7/10|
How to Play Mustang Gold
Although Mustang Gold is a fixed payline slot, you can still adjust the coins per line setting (range: 1 to 10) and the coin value (range: 0.01 - 0.50) to match the total amount you want each spin to cost.
For instance, if you bet 10 coins per line and the coin value is 0.01, it would cost you £/€2.50 (10 x 0.01 x 25).
The slot is housed upon a desert canyon backdrop and the sound effects are akin to those old Western movies we all know and love.
The reels are packed with:
- Playing card symbols A, K, Q and J.
- A cowboy and cowgirl.
- Two wild mustangs - a black one and a white one.
From these standard symbols, the white mustang is the most valuable with it being worth 20x your stake if you land 5 on a payline.
The Mustang Gold logo is the wild. This can appear on reels 2, 3, 4 and 5. It substitutes all standard symbols to help form more winning combinations.
The log campfire is the all-important scatter. This symbol only appears on reels 2, 3 and 4. When you land three scatters, the free spins round is triggered.
Also on the reels are golden horseshoes and a 'collect' symbol which is the sheriff's badge. These activate the Money Collect feature described below.
Features & Bonus Rounds
What Mustang Gold does very well is to balance out the action between the base game and the bonus rounds. It gets away with not having any multipliers because its special features are quite often rewarding enough.
- Money Collect Feature: on any spin, golden horseshoe symbols can land on reels 1 through to 4. Each symbol will have a cash value attached to it. If you then land the sheriff's badge 'collect' symbol on the 5th reel, the total value of the horseshoe cash symbols is yours
- Free Spins: three scatter symbols gets you 8 free spins with more horseshoes and collect symbols added to the reels. The Money Collect feature is active during the free spins and you can retrigger them over and over again by landing 3 more scatters each time. It is during this round that you're able to pick up the 12,000x your bet maximum payout.
- Jackpot Reveal Bonus: certain horseshoe symbols, instead of having a cash amount attached to them, will bear the word 'Jackpot'. Again, you need to land the 'collect' symbol on the 5th reel to trigger this bonus. You're then taken to a new screen with 12 horseshoe symbols on it. You must click on the symbols until you match 3 of the same jackpot. There are four possible jackpots:
- Grand = 1,000x total bet
- Major = 200x total bet
- Minor = 100x total bet
- Mini = 50x total bet
As an extra bonus, it is possible to win multiple Jackpot Reveal games in the same spin. If you hit four horseshoe jackpot symbols and the collect, that will be four rounds of this game. You'll play these each one after the other.
Mustang Gold Strategy, Tips & Tricks
Pragmatic Play rates the volatility of this slot as 7 out of 10, so it can take a bit of your bankroll before giving much back. Consider a varied staking pattern to make your session last longer is our advice.
As for the jackpot round, there isn't really any strategy involved as it's a game of chance but you are guaranteed one of the four prizes so you can't lose.
Slot Video Presentation
Mustang Gold is a good slot but it didn't really set our pulse racing. The graphics are fairly standard for 2019 and whilst the soundtrack suits the theme, we ended up turning it down after 10 minutes of playing.
Ultimately, it's all about the bonuses. Waiting to land the magical 'collect' symbol is a tense teaser. When you hit the free spins bonus you can sit back and watch the winnings build up.
The slot has a respectable 96.53% theoretical RTP.
Is it worth your time playing? Well, the 12,000x payout positively answers that question.Last update: 30-09-2019