Mobile casinos are gaining in popularity year-on-year. This guide will explain all you need to know about gambling on the go with your mobile devices
Online mobile casinos have been around for some time, but it's really only within the last five years that they have started to boom in a big way.
According to official data from the UK Gambling Commission's Gambling Participation report published in February 2019, there was a massive 44% increase in mobile phones being used for gambling in 2018.
However, it is not a case of having to use a "desktop" casino or a mobile one, players have the option to use both as they desire. Certain circumstances are more suited to one platform over the other, so let's take a closer look at what makes the "mobile experience" an integral part of your modern gaming requirements.
Web-based or downloadable App mobile casinos
Casino operators want to spread their nets as far and as wide as possible to make online gambling accessible to all. This is one of the reasons why many of these sites will have both a web-based platform and a downloadable app. So what's the difference and which should you choose?
Basically, a web-based platform is instantly accessible from all devices, you just need a web browser. A mobile dedicated App has been built specifically for one platform. This provides users with several advantages, which include:
- Faster load speeds: as the app is already installed, it has the advantage of being quicker than a web-based platform.
- Personalised content: developers can customise content based on the preferences and settings you select.
- Push notifications: it's simpler to receive information regarding bonuses, promotions and other offers.
- Instant updates: automatic updates are common with apps. This makes it easy for the operator to add upgrades and new features with the minimum of fuss.
It should be noted that if you are using a relatively old tablet or smartphone, you probably will not be able to run a mobile casino app on your device to its full potential.
Before downloading, you want to check out what the recommended system requirements are to avoid any hassles later. Furthermore, storage space, or lack of it, is a common issue with many older devices when downloading a standalone application.
Why play at a mobile casino
Having a casino in the palm of your hand brings with it numerous benefits, however, there are a couple of drawbacks, too. To help decide if it's the right style of gaming for you, let's take a look at the pros and cons.
- Convenience: having the ability to play where and when you like is by far the most appealing factor of using a gaming App. Whether it's the commute home from the office, queuing up in the supermarket or laying in bed, all you need is an internet connection and you're ready to play. With that said, such convenience can be detrimental if you don't control your level of play. It's very easy to pick up and play all the time, which is not a healthy approach to playing online games with real money.
- Mobile-first games: many software developers have now taken a "mobile-first" approach to game development. This means that the latest slots and table games have been specifically designed for the smaller screen. As technology has improved, software providers are now able to offer a more feature-rich, visually-outstanding, immersive gaming experience that wasn't possible a few years ago.
- Safety: many desktop computers and laptops have viruses lurking on them in some form or another. This can put the user at risk if they are sharing personal and financial information online. By contrast, handheld devices are relatively clean from such nasties.
- Easy banking: there are a growing number of mobile e-wallets entering the market, and many people have banking apps on their phones. This makes funding your account fast and hassle-free.
Where desktops PC are still the go-to option is for older games. There are many titles which are not touch screen compatible. This is why the library is always lighter on the mobile side. Admittedly, this is not as noticeable as it once was, but it's something to consider nonetheless.
Exclusive bonuses for mobile players
You will find a few sites that offer special "mobile-only" casino bonuses, but there aren't too many in all honesty.
The bonuses and promotions you can claim will be standard across the site, regardless of the device and platform you are using. These will include welcome offers for new players, reload bonuses for deposits after your first one, free spins, rebate offers and many others.
As you can see, there are several perks for using your handheld device to play at your favourite casino. We like to think of them as a complimentary benefit.
When at home, it's still great to power up your PC and enjoy the games on the larger screen. Yet, when this is not possible, it's nice to know that your gaming platform is in your pocket as and when required.Last update: 09-10-2019