A complete guide to help you find the online slot machines that give you the most bang for your buck.
All casino players want value for money when playing online games, which is why you should always search for the highest paying slot machines in the casino.
However, this can be interpreted in a number of ways. For instance, some players might want to explore the slots with the highest paying jackpots while others look at the RTP of a slot to determine how much it pays. Furthermore, you must also factor in your bankroll and the volatility of the slot.
If you’re a newcomer to the world of online slots, this page will break each of these components down for you. We’ll also list some of the best paying slots and provide suggestions where you can play them.
Progressive jackpot slots
Understandably, many players when they think of the phrase ‘high paying slots’ relate this to the jackpot which can be won. These games tend to be progressive slots.
A progressive jackpot slot is in fact no different to a standard video slot. The best way to think of the progressive element is like a side bet. Each time a player spins the reels, a small percentage of their stake is added to the progressive prize pool.
Commonly, progressive slots are linked together. For example, a player can be playing a progressive slot at Casino A in Brazil, and another player can be playing at Casino B in Spain. However, they are both contributing to the same prize pool.
How the progressive jackpot is triggered depends on the game. Some slots have special symbols which activate the bonus feature whereas others happen at random after any spin.
Highest paying progressive jackpot slots
Progressive slots are among the most played games in the casino because of the life-changing jackpots they offer. These are a few of the highest paying in terms of the size of their jackpots.
- Mega Moolah: We like to think of Mega Moolah as the Godfather of progressive jackpot slots as it holds the world record for the largest ever payout - a staggering €18,915,872.81. In terms of visuals, this slot is rather basic, but that hasn’t stopped millions of players taking it for a spin hoping to be the lucky one. Mega Moolah can be played at hundreds of online casinos, including NetBet, LVBet, LeoVegas, and Energy Casino.
- Mega Fortune: This NetEnt classic is another of the big hitters in the progressive jackpot niche. Its record payout stands at €17.8 million - won by a player from Sweden, who wisely chose to remain anonymous. What made this win even more incredible was that it came from a minimum bet €0.20 spin. There is also a sequel - Mega Fortune Dreams. This is also a progressive slot worthy of your attention. Mr Green, Videoslots, and Energy Casino are just a few of leading casinos offering these games.
- Jackpot Giant: Playtech is one of the largest casino software companies on the planet, so of course, it has an array of high paying slots. One of its best is Jackpot Giant. This is another member of the €10 million club. However, as it’s not as widely available as Mega Moolah, the progressive increases at a far slower rate. If you want to take a closer look, the online casinos at bet365, Betfair, Paddy Power and William Hill each offer this title.
What is RTP?
The alternative line of thought regarding slot machines that pay the most is based on the theoretical return to player, simply known as the RTP. This figure, which is always shown as a percentage, is how much the game will return to the player over an infinite number of spins.
The easy way to think of this is akin to a total average payout. For instance, if a slot has an RTP of 95.0%, it will payout €95.00 for every €100 wagered. This does not mean you are guaranteed to get €95 if you spend €100. You may lose it all, and the next player may win €180, for example.
Considering this, if you want more bang for your buck, the higher the RTP, the higher payouts (on average) you will get from the slot. Most online casinos display the RTP of the game in a synopsis on the loading page. However, CasinoAward has handpicked a few of the slots which offer tremendous RTP value to get you started.
Highest paying slots by RTP
There is no set rule on what the return to player value must be. It solely depends on the developer and the applied mathematics of the slot. The average range tends to be between 92% and 97%. However, there are many exceptions. Mega Moolah (described above) only has an RTP of 88.12%, which is rather low. Yet, we have these video slots at the other end of the charts.
- Mega Joker - up to 99.0% RTP: NetEnt’s Mega Joker is rated as one of the highest paying online video slots. However, you are required to play on the maximum coin value, and the 99% RTP is based on the increased payouts you get in the Supermeter Mode (which is a second set of reels above the main game). Still, it stands. This game will payout as advertised if played correctly, so it’s one you should add to your playlist.
- Monopoly Big Event - 99.0% RTP: Barcrest (Scientific Games) has produced several Monopoly-branded video slots. Big Event catches the eye with its 99.0% RTP. However, this magical figure is only possible when playing in ‘Big Bet’ mode, which is where you pay £30 for five big bet spins with enhanced win multipliers. No question this is a top game and one of the slots that pay the most, but £30 for five spins soon eats into your bankroll, so this isn’t for everyone.
- 1429 Uncharted Seas - 98.6% RTP: This Thunderkick slot is possibly one of the most underrated games in the casino. It looks stunning, there are some great bonus features, which includes 50 free spins, and it offers incredible value to players. Slots Million, Mr Green, Videoslots, and 888casino are a few online casinos offering this game.
- Blood Suckers - 98.0% RTP: Another entry from the mighty NetEnt. Blood Suckers has a cult following, and if you play this game, you’ll soon understand why. In many ways, it is the perfect video slot. There is action in the base game, and the free spins bonus round has a 3x win multiplier, which produces an impressive 98.0% RTP. You can spin the reels for only £/€0.25 as well, so it’s suited to all budgets.
Low volatility slots vs high volatility slots
Something which is often overlooked by new players when searching for the slot machines that pay the most is the volatility level. Online video slots will be either low, medium or high volatility. Please note, the term ‘volatility’ is sometimes exchanged with variance. These mean the same thing.
- Low volatility: A slot that has a low volatility rating is more likely to pay out smaller wins on a relatively frequent basis. Of course, the jackpot will drop at some point, but the small wins keep trickling along in the meantime.
- Medium volatility: These games won’t have so many many smaller wins, yet when you do go on a streak, the payouts tend to be slightly more generous.
- High volatility: You can think of these as the opposite to low variance games. When playing high volatility slots, you could go ten or fifteen spins without hitting anything. But, when it’s time to payout, the wins are usually more explosive.
The volatility rating does not affect the RTP, so why does it matter? There are a few reasons.
The first is players will likely need a larger bankroll to enjoy a good session if playing a highly volatile slot. Certainly, the wins are very rewarding when they do happen, but you need to be prepared for the dry spells in between. If you’re a casual player with €20.00 in your account, playing a low volatility slot will be kinder on your balance; thus offering potentially more entertainment value.
Furthermore, knowledge of a game’s variance is useful when attempting to clear the wagering requirements of a casino welcome bonus. Usually, low to medium volatility slots are the best to play in these circumstances as the small (but frequent) wins keep the bankroll topped up.
You should now have a better understanding and knowledge regarding the highest paying slot machines in the casino. First decide, what you deem as ‘high paying’, is it the jackpot size or the RTP? Once, you have that nailed down, select the variance which will suit your style of play the best. From there, the rest is down to lady luck.
All of the online casinos mentioned on this page are licenced and regulated. Their games are regularly audited to ensure the RTPs remain accurate. This means, on average, the game will payout the stated amount.
You could lose your bankroll, or you might win thousands more than you started with. That is all part of the allure of playing high paying slots.Last update: 09-03-2020