Free spins casino bonuses come in many shapes and sizes. This guide will explain them all so that you can find the best offers at the top casinos.
Online casinos have an array of bonuses and promotions to both entice players to join their brand and then stick around. One of their favourite offers is the free spins bonus. Casinos have been offering these for many years now because players still cannot get enough of them.
As there are now many variations of free spins bonuses, this article aims to break them down. We reveal the pros and cons of the different types and highlight important features of each offer that players need to be aware of.
So, before jumping in and claiming some free spins for yourself, read through this guide to ensure you’re getting the best value possible.
What is a free spins casino bonus?
The term ‘free spins’ explains to a tee what these promotions are all about. The casino serves up a promotion in which players get “X” amount of free games on a selected video slot.
In certain countries, like the UK for example, the term free spins bonus has been replaced with ‘bonus spins’ or ‘extra spins’. This is due to regulations by the Gambling Commission defining that the wording ‘free spins’ can only be used if the spins are free, with no strings attached.
However, we won’t go down that rabbit hole in this guide. It’s just important for new players to know that all of these terms effectively mean the same thing.
Different types of free spins bonuses
Casinos are always trying to come up with inventive promotions. This has led to many types of free spins offers being available to players.
We are often asked, “What is the best free spins bonus?” The answer is the one that suits your budget and style of play the best. While all free games are fantastic, you will discover your own personal favourite when you start playing at more online casinos.
No deposit free spins
With hundreds of online casinos battling for every customer, operators know that they need to offer something eye-catching, something so tempting that it’s hard for players to refuse. So the no deposit free spins bonus was devised.
It doesn’t matter whether it’s your first time playing slots or you are a seasoned veteran; no deposit free spins bonuses are still worth snapping up. The purpose of this promotion is to get players to register a new casino account. For doing so, they are rewarded with real money free spins.
Generally, the casino will offer 10-20 no deposit free spins. However, we have seen deals with up to 77 spins, so it pays to look around. From a player’s perspective, it allows you to try a casino before pulling out your bank card and funding the account with money.
Furthermore, you can win real money from no deposit free spins, but due to the wagering requirements (on the winnings) most players won’t profit from this bonus. They are still entertaining and enjoyable nevertheless.
Top 3 Tips for no deposit free spins bonuses:
- find out what the wagering requirements are. There are no wagering no deposit offers available. However, most casinos will be 30x - 50x wagering. The lower, the better is the way to go;
- different casinos offer different slots. While NetEnt’s Starburst slot is a popular choice, you can find sites offering Age of the Gods slots and Play’n GO’s Book of Dead. Look around and try an assortment of titles;
- check the maximum win limit. The lowest we’ve seen is €/£/$10.00, which is better than nothing, but not great. €/£/$100 is around the average with a few casinos offering no max win.
No wagering free spins bonuses
The worst thing about casino bonus offers is the wagering requirements. This is the amount of cash you need to bet (wager) to convert the bonus funds into real money.
For this reason, no wagering free spins bonuses have become hugely popular. Most of the time, players will be expected to make a deposit to activate a no wagering free spins offer.
For example, you might see a promotion, such as ‘Get 1 no wagering free spin for every €1 deposited up to 50 free spins’. In effect, the no wagering offer is acting as a lure to convince players to make a deposit. It’s a win-win for both the casino and the slots player.
With no wagering free spins, any winnings generated are put into your real money account. This cash can be used to play other games in the casino, or it can be withdrawn.
Top 3 Tips for no wagering free spins bonuses:
- you can get a few no deposit, no wagering offers. However, usually, a deposit is required. Therefore, look for the best ‘deposit amount to free spins’ ratio;
- understandably, the more spins you can get for the least deposit is favourable. Again, there may be a maximum win limit, so you want to look around for the best deals;
- you should also check the value of each spin. Some casinos may only offer €0.10 or €0.20 spins, while the more generous offers could be €0.50 per spin. This can make a big difference to your overall winnings.
Welcome bonus free spins
This is the original free spins bonus. It is commonly packaged together with a match deposit bonus. For example, 100% up to €100 + 50 free spins. In essence, this is two bonuses in one. They are popular because players are given free games, and there is always that chance of landing that big jackpot spin.
As a newcomer, it’s crucial that you examine the bonus’ terms and conditions. You can get two casinos both offering 50 free spins, but if the T&Cs are different, one offer will be more player-friendly than the other.
Top 3 Tips for welcome bonus free spins bonuses:
- find out the wagering requirements. These can range from no wagering up to 85x (which is outrageous by the way). 25x - 35x is a good average to guide you;
- the number of deposits required can vary. For instance, two casinos are both offering 100 free spins. However, casino A gives them all to the player on the first deposit. But, casino B gives 25 free spins for each of the first four deposits. tTis means you have to deposit more cash to get the same number of free spins.
- another variable is the expiry date. At the low end, your free spins might expire within 24 hours; however, other operators allow 7 days or 1 month before the spins expire.
Popular free spins casinos
With free spins bonuses being so widely popular, the best online casinos have one promotion or another waiting for players. However, as emphasised above, certain offers carry more value than others. As a player, you want to compare the available bonuses until you find one you’re happy with.
To help get you started, CasinoAward has hand-picked the following brands that are known for providing free spins bonuses on a regular basis. Here they are:
|96,5%||1-2 days||9/10||Betfair Review|
|96%||1-5 days||9/10||LeoVegas Review|
|97%||2-3 days||8/10||Paddy Power Review|
|96,5%||2-4 days||7/10||NetBet Review|
|96%||0-5 days||8/10||Mr Green Review|
|96,5%||2-4 days||9/10||888Casino Review|
|97,24%||2-4 days||8/10||William Hill Review|
MrGreen Free Spins Video Presentation
Final words on the free spins bonuses
Video slots are the most-played games at online casinos, and this is why free spins bonuses will always be in high demand. What is interesting is the evolution of these offers. When they first appeared as part of new customer welcome offers, they always had wagering requirements.
Now, you can get no wagering free spins, no deposit free spins, and even a combination of both, with the result being more beneficial to players.
As the industry continues to grow, we expect more upgrades to this classic bonus, so what this space!Last update: 01-06-2020